Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Bombshell Batgirl Baseball Uniforms Part 1

SO I have been wanting to sit down and do a good, long write up of everything for my DC Bombshell's Batgirl group. This group has been pending for a while and honestly, I feel like I let my girls down. But in hopes of remedying that, I'm doing this now.

So here we go.



Part 1: Patterns, Fabrics, and Other useful stuff 
           So the first thing I wanted to touch on was the pattern. I had initially planned for us to use a commercial pattern, but soon learned that it would not fit properly so I scrapped the idea and instead went with a pattern that I already know fits me. 

For my girls, I suggest making a pattern out of an existing piece of clothing. I will now link a tutorial on how to do that HERE(link opens in new window)

To alter my pattern I just traced it and extended the front as pictured below
Now not the girls will have to do this, as the comic is currently, only Harper, Kathy and Alysia have a uniform front that looks like this(check reference images to figure out the direction):
Whereas Felicity, Bette, Nell, and the boys have uniform fronts that look like this:
So make certain to adjust your pattern accordingly.

Now for the bottoms!
For the skirt I just made a circle skirt. Circle skirts are very simple to pattern out and make and I will link to a helpful source on how to make those HERE (link opens in new window) but I also have a crude diagram here:
EDIT: In retrospect, I would not recommend a full circle skirt, especially if you live in a particularly windy area. I learned this the hard way. A 3/4 or half-circle skirt would work just fine and are made by just shortening the outer circumference without altering the waist circumference.

Now of course the exception to this rule is going to be the boys and Nell with her darn pants. For this I highly suggest investing in pajama pattern. Pajama patterns are a great base to begin with for many projects and the pants would work fine for these uniforms. To alter them, simply shorten the legs, gather them at the bottom and add a band around each leg.

Now as for fabrics
 
The fabric I highly recommend and use myself is called Kona Cotton. It comes in a huge variety of colors, thick enough to not need lining and very easy to sew. To make things incredibly easy, I'm going to link to the Fabric.com Kona Collection right HERE (link opens in new window)
For the trim I just used bias tape in the corresponding color. 

That is about all I have to say for these topics, more in PART 2

Go with love,
Koopa

No comments:

Post a Comment