Thursday, August 31, 2017

Bombshell Batgirls Uniforms Part 2

I hope everyone feigned some information from my previous entry about the construction of my DC Bombshells Batgirl Uniform. This part will be all about the accessories and where to purchase them as well as provide sources for the designs used on the back.
Part 2: Accessories, Props and Back Details

Accessories
My belt, gloves, socks, badanna, and bat were all bought and (the case of my bat) altered.
I bought my gloves and socks from WeLoveColors since they have such a large selection of colors. Because LET ME TELL YOU light purple/lilac/lavender/whatever socks are IMPOSSIBLE to find elsewhere. Plus buying from a store with so many color options meant being able to match with my group easily.
The belt I found on Amazon, but I may make my own down the line, so I will update this if that happens at some point.
The bat I also found on amazon. The exact that I got is this one. It's a children's bat so it is pretty small, which worked for me, because I'm small, but it may not work as well if you're any bigger than 5 feet tall. I liked this one in particular because it already had the wood grain printed onto it which saved me a headache. All I had to do was add the "Batgirl" lettering which I lightly drew on in pencil first then went over with acrylic paint using a tookpick to paint on. It took a bit of patience, but I didn't want to risk messing up with a paintbrush.
If you have the time and money, I'm sure would also outsource and just get a decal of the design printed and make the process easier for you. I was crushed for time personally, and I like the way that it turned out. I had also thought from using a marker, but I was afraid of the smudging.

Back Designs
So if you were at all concerned or intimated by the designs on the back of the uniform, have no fear, I got you covered.
First of all, I have already made PDFs of the both the Bats and the lettering. I even made the Bats in two different sizes in hopes to accommodate different sized individuals. You are welcome to use these files or make your own.  
If you do use them, please credit me and link back here so that other people may find them easily.

Bat Design [Large | Small
Lettering (cut inside black edges for best outcome) [Link]


Now as for how to attach them, there are a multitude of methods that  you could use and it's all a matter of which you prefer, I will first start with the one that I used. 

Making It Into An Applique

Making appliques is really easy and I personally find it really fun. For my uniform, I wanted everything to be stitched down in one way or another, so I figured that the best way for me to apply the back designs. I used Wonder Under to make them into appliques, which I poorly made a video tutorial on how to use a long time ago [Link] While I personally prefer Wonder Under, any fusible web will work just fine. Take your time and make sure everything is spaced out placed on your uniform to your liking. After everything was ironed on and attached, I used a satin stitch around the edges to permanently attach all of the pieces. A satin stitch is a zig-zag stitch with a short length so that the stitches are very close together, keeping the fabric from fraying. A top-stitch could also be used if you prefer it. I used a Kona Cotton for my designs, but you can use whatever fabric you prefer. I personally really love the way mine turned out generally recommend this method since it really made my uniform feel like a on old 1940's baseball uniform. I used the same pattern and a similar method to make the bat "buttons" on the front of the uniform.
Note: I suggest doing this part BEFORE putting your dress/shirt together! I did not do that and while it is possible to get done, it's a pain in the butt!

Heat Transfer Vinyl

If you want to avoid sewing, but are willing to spend a little bit on materials, heat transfer vinyl could be an option for you. The vinyl itself is sold in rolls, sheets or by the yard. It is used by simply ironing onto the fabric and requires to top stitching of any sort. I actually do not not have extensive experience with heat transfer vinyl, but it was a method I considered using during the planning stages of my cosplay before I decided that it did not match the aesthetic that I was aiming for. 

Fabric Paint

Now this method I am personally not super keen on just because paint is messy, it can be prone to chipping, and there are just a lot of things that can go wrong with it, at least when I work with paint. If you find yourself particularly good at fabric painting however, by all means go with this method.  Using a template for the patterns, I recommend going over the design with a sponge brush in thin layers until you are happy with the opaqueness. This method is probably the least expensive, but takes the most time since it involves waiting for paint to dry, another reason why I don't like painting. 

At the end of the day, the method that you use is all up to you. It's all going to depend on how much money and time you have as well as what supplies and skills you have on hand. Cosplay should be fun and accessible for everyone, which is why I try to offer alternate methods on how to make things. Just remember that it's okay to step out of your comfort zone every now and then when approaching a new project.


Best of luck on your endeavors! I cannot wait to see what everyone makes <3

Go with love,
Koopa





No comments:

Post a Comment