Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Slowly, but surely

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I often get what I've begun to call artist/crafter/cosplayer tunnel vision. Especially when it comes to cosplay (which is the focus of this blog entry, but it can be applied to any art field).

 

And what I mean by that is that I often get so focused on how far behind I am behind other cosplayers, that I lose sight of how I have grown in the years that I've done this. So every now and then I make myself look back and see just how much I've grown. I think this is something we all need to do on occasion to remind ourselves of our growth. Because if you're anything like me, you can hear people tell you how much you've improved, but you won't believe it until you've taken your own time to see it.

You'll find that you improve with every single costume. Cosplay especially is such a learn-by-doing craft that it's hard not to find improvement within every costume. Whether it's with sewing or fabricating or makeup or wig styling. You learn every time you make something new.

Now I wouldn't doubt that a lot of my improvement, especially over the last few years, comes from being surrounded by talented and inspirational people. being around so many amazing individuals gives me a constant drive to challenge myself and try new things. If I stayed where I was ten or even five years ago and never attempted anything new, I wouldn't have improved as much over the years. Growth and improvement are part of life, but we don't learn if we don't care to.


We work and learn and improve everyday. As artists and as people
Slowly, but surely.
Go with love,
Koopa

No comments:

Post a Comment